April/ May Book Clubs!

In April and May of 2012, the RBE Library continued our very popular Book Clubs!

I am able to host these book clubs due to a Frisco Education Foundation Grant that I was awarded where I was able to buy several book sets that I can use over and over again for student book clubs.

In April and May, we had students from 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades participate. Six students from each grade level were selected after they filled out Book Club interest forms. This book club was spread out over the course of 2 months since both April and May were so busy at RBE.

Since the school year was drawing to a close and the previous month’s book club interest far exceeded the number of books I had, I decided to host 2 different books for each grade level involved. I used the books from the previous month, as well as a new set.

We met once a week for 3 weeks to talk about the books over the course of April and May. We met at lunch in the library, and the students got to bring their lunch to the library and eat while we met for Book Club!!! That was definitely a highlight!

At the 1st meeting, we read the first chapters, made predictions, and talked about the characters. I gave all the students several Post Its so they could mark interesting parts, or make comments along the way as they read. We met at lunch in the library, and the students got to bring their lunch to the library and eat while we met for Book Club!!! That was definitely a highlight!

At the 2nd meeting, students read to the middle of the book before we met. Then we read aloud from some of our favorite parts, talked about anything we were confused about to that point, analyzed characters and made predictions about the ending.

At the 3rd meeting, students are to have finished the book. We haven’t had our 3rd meetings yet, but those are coming up this week and next. We talked about how the book ended, how the characters had changed, and what were our favorite parts of the book were!

RBE students, be sure to try and sign up for one of the book clubs next year. We are going to try to have 1 per grade level each month! Wohoo!!!!

The students who participated told me that this was such a fun thing to get to do, and they all really liked the books that they got to read. To see pics of the students who participated, see the slideshow below!

, ,

Subscribe By Email

Get every new post delivered right to your inbox.

This form is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.